The Big Fat Notebooks go to high school! This study guide for high school Biology introduces students to all the big ideas in the course, with clear diagrams, fun doodles, clever mnemonics, and other ways to understand and remember what you need to ace this challenging course.
This Big Fat Notebook covers everything you need to know during a year of high school BIOLOGY class, breaking down one big bad subject into accessible units. Including: biological classification, cell theory, photosynthesis, bacteria, viruses, mold, fungi, the human body, plant and animal reproduction, DNA & RNA, evolution, genetic engineering, the ecosystem and more.
Study better with mnemonic devices, definitions, diagrams, educational doodles, and quizzes to recap it all.
1) THE BIG FAT NOTEBOOKS HAVE CHANGED THE WAY KIDS STUDY!
With more than 4 million copies in print, these books have become essential school supplies. BIOLOGY is the third book in the Big Fat Notebook high school series (following Chemistry and Geometry).2) LIKE BORROWING THE NOTES OF THE SMARTEST KID IN CLASS:
All the big ideas are here, carefully and smartly outlined, plus helpful charts and graphs, clever doodles that help you remember all the details, and smart shortcuts for memorizing everything you need to ace high school biology, from biological classification to cell theory, to plant and animal kingdoms, to the body systems, genetics and ecology.3) AND LIKE HAVING THE COOLEST TEACHER GIVING YOU A ONE-ON-ONE TUTORIAL:
Author Matthew Brown is a biomedical engineer and science communicator, who focuses on explaining the mysteries of the world around us in a way that is not only comprehensive, but also engaging. He employs storytelling to add a creative spin to even the most complex scientific concepts.
BASICS OF CHEMISTRY
- Introduction to Chemistry
- Conducting Experiments
- Constructing Lab Reports
- SI Units of Measurement
- Lab Safety and Scientific Tools
: ALL ABOUT MATTER
- Properties of Matter and Changes in Form
- States of Matter and Phase Changes
- Atoms, Elements, Compounds and Mixtures
ATOMIC THEORY AND ELECTRON CONFIGURATION
- Atomic Structure and Electron Charge
- Quantum Theory, Electrons as Waves, and Photons
ELEMENTS AND THE PERIODIC TABLE
- The Periodic Table
- Periodic Law, Families, and Trends
- Energy Levels and Waves
BONDING AND VESPR THEORY
- Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion (VESPR) Theory
- Metallic Bonds and Intramolecular Forces
- Naming and Writing Formulas
- The Mole
- Percent Composition and Empirical Formulas
CHEMICAL REACTIONS AND CALCULATIONS
- Chemical Reactions
- Chemical Calculations (Stoichiometry)
- Common Gases and Units of Measurement
- Kinetic Molecular Theory
- Gas Laws
SOLUTIONS AND SOLUBILITY
- Solubility Rules and Conditions
- The Concentration of a Solution
ACIDS AND BASES
- Properties of Acids and Bases
- pH Scale and Calculations
- Conjugate Acids and Bases
- What is Chemical Equilibrium?
- Le Chatelier's Principle
THERMODYNAMICS AND REACTION RATES
- The First Law of Thermodynamics
- Entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics
- Reaction Rates